Monday, April 28, 2014

If blessings were immediate, choosing the right would not build faith.

Ok!

This week was fine. I got a little stomach sick but it passed in like 4 days. So I’m fine. This week we worked a bunch. A lot of lessons, a lot of investigators in the church…overall a big success. We had a great time playing soccer today.

So about the Skype chat: We can do that the tenth or eleventh of May, a Saturday or a Sunday. Tell erryone. You can tell me when you want to do it.

So I’ve run into a problema: I have no idea what my debit card pin is. I completely forgot. If you could refresh me that would be great.

Elder Garcia is great. We get along really well, and I’m learning a ton from him.

uhm...I don’t know. We have a family that’s almost ready for baptism. It’s gonna be great!

Below I’m going to paste a bit of what I wrote to a friend today, because it’s a lot of what I teach, and what I absolutely believe:


Think of your testimony as a seed. Every seed needs three basic things: water, dirt, and sun. Even without one of these three things, the seed doesn’t grow. Like the seed, our testimonies need three fundamental things: Prayer, Scripture study, and going to church. These three things provide us with personal revelation. Prayer is the communication we have with God. Like a cellphone, but you don’t need to pay and it never runs out of signal. With this, we can come to have answers and receive help. The scriptures have taught again and again that prayers will only be answered in accordance with our faith. No faith means no answer, no help, no nothin’. Then there are the scriptures. Scriptures are like Life’s Instruction Manual. They may not be as simple to follow as Ikea furniture instructions, but they have more meaning than anything. I try to apply every scripture I read to my own life, to know how I can help myself and my investigators. Then there is attending church. The scriptures are the instructions, prayer tells you the instructions are right, and the church is the help center you call when you don’t understand the instructions. The church is just as important as prayer and scripture study. There we receive revelation through talks, classes, and friends. The spirit Works in mysterious ways. But what’s a mystery but to be solved? Understanding how the spirit Works in ones self is key to understanding all this revelation.

 I wish to add a quote that I just love from one of the talks that Henry B. Eyring  gave this year:  "If we choose the right, we will find happiness—in time. If we choose evil, there comes sorrow and regret—in time. Those effects are sure. Yet they are often delayed for a purpose. If the blessings were immediate, choosing the right would not build faith."

I just love that last line. Doing all these things helps, but in its own time. Not doing these things hurt, in its own time. Doing them with a bad disposition also hurts. Exploit these fountains of revelation that the Lord has blessed us with. Use them effectively. Learn from the times you lean on them. They are the things that will help you. How it applies to me is different than how it applies to you. Use all of these resources, come to love them, and I assure you that you will have the answers and help you need.

Love you!

Elder Schuhmacher

No comments:

Post a Comment